Monday, May 12, 2008

Erik's Delicafe: Chicken Pesto Sandwich

Posted on 5/12/2008 09:42:00 AM by Frank


Erik's Delicafe
2551 San Ramon Valley Blv
San Ramon, CA 94583
(925) 743-0101

I've been to several of these restaurants all over the place, from Redwood City, to Fremont, to San Ramon. Everything is pretty much the same except for the serving sizes. I may or may not get into that later though. This place is usually packed at lunchtime, which is a very good sign. Almost everything has alfalfa sprouts. I used to hate it but I forgot to ask the clerks to not include it enough times that I got used to them. Here we go:

Taste:
The main flavor in the Chicken Pesto, interestingly enough, is not chicken. Even more so if you get the alfalfa. In which case the main flavor is alfalfa then the pesto. But even without the alfalfa the pesto flavor is very subtle and barely masking the taste of what I "call cold cut chicken juice". Sure that description makes it sound bad but I don't mean it that way. It's like biting into the kind of chicken they put on a chicken caesar salad. I think it would be great with some kind of whole breast and not little chunks of meat. All in all, I like it and it has earned it's way up to my usual at Erik's.

Authenticity:
Uh, an Italian/American hybrid sandwich is my best guess as to the origin of this cuisine. Do Italians use alfalfa? Let's just call it deli for simplicity. Although there's no definite origin that I can think of, this type of cuisine is so common that it has established itself as the originless "Deli". That's good enough for me and a special case for this rating. Yes, very "Deli".

Consistency:
Not counting the different size servings at different locations I think the consistency is spot on. It like they have a deli sandwich making machine back there. Though it is a little disturbing to me that I can't see my cold sandwich being made up front. I don't know, it's just one of my things I guess.

Cost to Serving:
Depending on the location you eat at this rating changes. For example, the Redwood City Erik's gives you a pretty big roll while the San Ramon Erik's, which is pictured above, looks way dinky. I'll just try to average out here. I usually get the combo like everyone else but this one's price seems to be masked by the combo items. Take a look at the individual sandwich prices some time. I have to take in account the chicken to sandwich ratio and exploded size due to alfalfa sprouts.

Conclusion:
If you're feeling extra snobby but want a decent bargain, come to Erik's and hang out with the rest of the seemingly wannabe rich people and businessmen. That atmosphere is as constant as old people at a Buttercup Kitchen, which I hate by the way.
___________________________________
Price Paid: ~7.50
Price I'd Pay: ~7
Cumulative Rating: 6.50
Look Ma, I looks like a business man!
___________________________________

1 Response to "Erik's Delicafe: Chicken Pesto Sandwich"

.
gravatar
Mike Says....

I have only been to this restaurant once but I won't be in a rush to return. The sandwich was so-so and the service did not get near to that. I have received much better service at other sandwich establishments. I would give names but I think everyone can figure out the big three (the one who grills sandwiches, the one where Jerod eats, and the place that makes great sandwiches "to go"). Maybe someday I will visit another one of these restaurants. Maybe my less than stellar experience was just this one location. We will have to just wait and see.

Leave A Reply