Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Drip System

Posted on 6/13/2010 05:15:00 PM by Frank

     OK, I got sidetracked again. Though I did have this system setup with .5 gallon drippers, I decided to upgrade to a mini sprinkler system. See Below:


It works just like those old style spitting sprinklers with the spinning and everything. In the 6 ft. planter, I have a line of 3.


These are on a timer to come on twice a day for one minute each. In one minute the entire system so far uses about one gallon of water/fertilizer solution. Here's a closeup of a sprinkler head in action. Those white blurs are the water spray.


Each head has a knob on the side to adjust flow. I have mine set to half flow or less. At full flow they have about a 3.5 ft. diameter spray -- on my setup.


And speaking of my setup, here is the heart of the system - a five gallon bucket with a 330 GPH fountain pump. I went with a .5 in main line and of course, .25 in for the drip lines. That white thing hanging above is a programmable 14 setting timer with auto DST and battery backup for the clock.


The heart pumping away.


And that's it. But why adapt it for a pump and bucket system? Well first, I don't have a hose spigot on my balcony(thought that will change soon). Second, I like to be able to have exact control over the amount of water I use. Third, it's easier to measure out and mix the ferts right in the bucket and easier to keep track of. And that's the last unless I think of something else later.

Happy Farming!!

No Response to "The Drip System"

Leave A Reply