Friday, April 11, 2008

Bob's Giant Burgers: Western Bacon Burger

Posted on 4/11/2008 02:53:00 PM by Frank


Bob's Giant Burgers
40720 Fremont Blvd
Fremont, CA
94538
(510) 656-3356
Here's a place I eat lunch at every once in a while with the guys from work. But it's also one of those places I get cravings for by my self randomly and end up grabbing a burger. Wait that doesn't make sense... unless what I have a craving for is their banana shake. Yep, burgers are nice but there are a few places nearer to me that have very good burgers. On the other hand, banana shakes are hard to come by in Fremont which is why I go to Bob's. But today's rating is for the western bacon burger.
- Taste
Not a bad place if you're looking for that homemade burger flavor. There are a lot of places like this scattered throughout the town but I have to note that this place is way less greasy than the other places, on average. Simplicity really pays of with the western bacon. I mean there isn't even any cheese or lettuce unless you ask for it. But hey, sometimes that's just what you want once in a while. I'm imagining that V8 commercial, as I say this, with the lady at the order window smacking me on my forehead. "Back off! I eat salad regularly. You don't know me!!" But I digress. All in all, I like the burger but I can like it more if I'm craving homemade.
- Authenticity
Authenticity? It's a burger! Even though some would argue that a hamburger is a big fat slice of Americana, I beg to differ. Anyway what's there to authenticate? 2 buns, an onion ring, some bacon, patty, and sauce. And don't even claim that it could be kosher bacon. Haha that one's been used too many times. So here I give the default.
- Consistency
These guys are very consistent in my opinion but is helped by the fact that there just aren't that many ingredients to the burger. I'm sure the patty maker uses the same simple mix for the meat every time. Not to say that it's bad. I like it simple whenever possible. The less ingredients, the more individual tastes you can, uh, taste.
- Cost to Serving
Here's where these guys get a little hairy cost-wise. Fries were alright but for almost 2 bucks they depend too much on quantity over quality to justify the price. The banana shake is well worth the 3.10, however, along with the sh!*@s afterward. Yeah, I've had better but it's close by so bah. But all aside, this rating is for the burger which comes out to about 6 bucks. I'd say that that for 6 bucks its a little on the high side, especially considering that you'd expect to pay that at a restaurant and this place is a hut with chairs around it. Slightly below average on the scale.
Conclusion
This is a great little burger stand to go to for your once-in-a-while homemade burger fix. I like it! But I can't go any further than that. The western bacon is definately one of my regulars whenever I visit. This place get high on the taste but is dinged big time by the cost to enjoy the food.
__________________________
Actual price paid: ~$6
Price I'd pay: $5.20
Cumulative rating: 6.75
Just like you'd make if you were just making burger for the hell of it.
__________________________

1 Response to "Bob's Giant Burgers: Western Bacon Burger"

Leave A Reply