Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Salsa Picante No.2: Chorizo Super Burrito Mojado

Posted on 4/15/2008 06:51:00 PM by Frank


Salsa Picante No.2
41965 Fremont Blvd.
Fremont, CA 94538
(510) 656-8685

This has been the long time usual spot for me and the guys at work. For a while we got worried that this place had closed down and we were getting very nervous. Even one of our old coworkers that works somewhere else was speechless when we told him the place looked gutted for a good few weeks. This further worried us when we remembered the property for sale fliers out in front of the building a couple months ago. Fortunately, it was just closed for renovation. Just as soon as we saw the newly renovated ex-Dairy Queen building that housed our usual spot we all got together just like the good old days.
This dish is what I rate almost all Mexican restaurants by. If you're a Mexican restaurant and don't make chorizo burritos, you've just made me loose a little faith in humanity. That's how much I love chorizo dammit. Anyway...

Taste:
I'll say it right now, it's not perfect, but it's chorizo. The taste is more then decent and is helped by being topped with enchilada sauce, different cheeses, and sour cream. And then you get the Tapatio in the mix and bam! You've got an orangish reddish power ranger that you can eat. The burrito from here is the baseline burrito that all other chorizo burrito making Mexican restaurant should strive for, if not beat the flavor of.





Authenticity:
A bunch or real Mexican guys cooking real Mexican food. I can't see anything unauthentic about that. You can even order in spanish and they'll understand you! Even the salsa and chips at the uh, salsa and chip bar are made in-house. And if you want beef tongue in a friggin quesadilla, you get beef tongue in a friggin quesadilla!


Consistency:
I've eaten here so many times but noticed so few stray flavors that it almost blows my mind. Although, I know the same cook makes my burrito because they cook all their food out in front. Lets just say that kind of model earns them a very high consistency rating.


Cost to Serving:
A nice sized burrito at a very fair price! Hands down.

Conclusion
If you like authentic hole in the wall restaurants then this is a place for your consideration. Sure some other hole in the wall restaurants have better food but this is pretty good for a yuppie town like Fremont.
____________________________
Actual price paid: ~$6
Price I'd pay: ~$6
Cumulative rating: 7.25
Hooray for chorizo!
____________________________

2 Response to "Salsa Picante No.2: Chorizo Super Burrito Mojado"

.
gravatar
Mike Says....

I have tried this restaurant several times with Frank and would agree with most of Frank's comments. I tried the Al Pastor burrito three times and for me is was consistently not good all three times. I did however find a couple of things which were quite good (haven't had them enough to give a solid consistency rating yet) and will get those items on future visits to this establishment. The Al Pastor Torta was really good and the Chili Verde taco was one of the best Chile Verde's I have had yet. Due to my less than appetizing experiences with the previous burritos I would give this establishment a cumulative rating of 7. If you want a really good Al Pastor burrito go to Los Portales in Newark (to be reviewed in a future blog by Frank).

.
gravatar
Frank Says....

I don't know man. It might be hard to pull me away from my usual... unless it's a burrito donation.

Leave A Reply