Sunday, April 13, 2008

Mr Chau's: Tangerine Boneless Ribs, BBQ Boneless Ribs, and Sesame Chicken

Posted on 4/13/2008 01:20:00 PM by Frank


Mr Chau's
35204 Newark Blvd
Newark, CA 94560
(510) 793-3788

This is my usual Sunday eating spot. What? Did you think that I was just going to rate only real food? It fills me up and does the job, plus it's cheap. I also use the ATM machine inside more than I use the one at my actual bank. It's my weekly routine of Mr. Chau's, bank, and gas(no there isn't a Mr. Chau's gas station). Anyway, this time around it was the Boneless BBQ Ribs, Tangerine Boneless Ribs, and Sesame Chicken. I also got some hot & sour soup this time but I've yet to build up my consistency rating to include it here. So far that's not looking too high though... You should also know that the guys there know me and do some special stuff like pack a 3 item combo into a 2 item box where normally you'd get a small box for the 3rd order. It doesn't seem that special but you get more if they just shovel that 3rd order into the box.

Taste:
I can't complain here. I know it's not real Chinese food but its still good. Some people just can't get over the fact that it's fast food and believe that the food from this chain is nasty. Well stuff happens when you're a broke college guy. And for the money, I think the taste is pretty damn good. Of course I'm not so much in that situation anymore but the place has grown on me.

Authenticity:
heh, do I even need to say anything here? But if it helps, there are real Chinese people manning the sneeze-guarded heated trays. As for the people that cook, that's up in the air at the moment.

Consistency:
Chau's kung fu is strong in this category. Other fast food places would give you watery, light colored garlic chicken some days and halfway decent garlic chicken other days. My most usual combo pick, tangerine bonless ribs, has never swayed and neither have any of the other selections.

Cost to Serving:
If the last rating was Jackie Chan, this rating is Jet Li. This would be the most important part of the Chinese fast food showdown. These guys know how to seriously load you up on the cheap.

Conclusion:
If you have the munchies and don't have a lot of cash in your pocket its gotta be Mr. Chau's. A single 3 item combo lasts me a whole day and it doesn't even hit 10 bucks. Sweet.

_________________________
Actual price paid: ~$8
Price I'd pay: ~$8 par price for par food
Cumulative rating: 6.75 out of 10
For when you're just hungry.
_________________________

No Response to "Mr Chau's: Tangerine Boneless Ribs, BBQ Boneless Ribs, and Sesame Chicken"

Leave A Reply