Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Taquiera Los Portales: Chorizo Super Burrito

Posted on 4/23/2008 08:29:00 AM by Frank


Taquiera Los Portales
36782 Cedar Blvd
Newark, CA 94560
(510) 745-7754

It's very rare that I forget about chorizo but considering what went on this day(glug glug), I can forgive myself. Me and a bud went here for a snack, not a meal, to tide us over until the company bbq. Well he ended up getting a burrito. Guess what I had to do then? Yep, get a burrito. But not just any burrito, a chorizo super burrito. Although I think this place has a different spin on the "super" part. "Super" seems to refer to what kind of filling is included inside, like guacamole sour cream, etc., and not the size. I can still remember the burrito truck in high school and when you said super you got a super huge burrito.

Taste:
There is only one other comparable place that makes a similar tasting burrito. That place is Taqueria Los Gallos in Newark. Thea reason I say this is because of the custom style and flavor these 2 places use. Los portales uses mystery squares of cheese and places them over the open tortilla before adding the filling and rolling up. It seems like a borrowed technique from Taco Bell(I hate Taco Bell, btw). It just happens to be really good cheese and on top of the way that the cook gives you the little crunchy pan scrapings, this "little super" evens out the size with taste. A very good and unique tasting burrito. Bonus for Tapatio on the table.

Authenticity:
Even though I state that this burrito may have borrowed the cheese wrapping technique from Taco Bell, I can't be sure. This is compounded by the mystery cheese that I can't identify. It's sort of like a salty jack cheese if I were to try and describe it. Everything else seems pretty standard and at the same time I can't ding any points for authenticity because of the 2 variables I've described above.

Consistency:
Very consistent. I always get those little burnt chorizo crunchies that I like, mystery cheese, and a greasy hand.

Cost to Serving:
The super burrito, like I stated, is a little small with a price that's just barely too much. It's not that bad though. What gets you is the crazy fountain drink prices. Small small penalty but it would be more significant if I was really hungry this last time I went.

Conclusion:
If you're looking to teach an old burrito new tricks then you have to try one of the burritos from here. Of course that may bring you down a bit on the authenticity scale but only if you let me rate yours.
__________________________________
Price paid: ~7.50
Price I'd pay: 7
Cumulative rating: 7.75
Again, hooray for chorizo!
__________________________________

No Response to "Taquiera Los Portales: Chorizo Super Burrito"

Leave A Reply